GERO101: Introduction to Gerontology
- Visit the Medicare website, and look at the section of the website that explains what Medicare supplement (aka Medigap insurance) insurance policies are. The link to this site is listed below:
What government insurance coverage is required for an individual to have a Medicare supplement plan? Why would an individual want to have a Medicare supplement plan? What items are not covered by this type of insurance?
- On the left hand side of this site, click on the link “Find a Medigap policy”, and type in your zip code for your residence. Make sure that you indicate that you have “good” health status, and also choose “no” to the question asking whether you currently have a Medicare supplement plan before you do this search.
How many Medicare supplement plans are available in your area (be sure to list the zip code you researched), and what is the range of the costs of these policies in your region (lowest to highest cost). What factors determine the different costs of the available plans (identify at least two factors). In your paper, answer the following questions.
- Review the discussion on Medigap policy by Hillier and Barrow (2011) and summarize what a Medigap policy provides to older individuals.
- Report what you found out about the Medigap policies available in your region. Discuss your personal reflection on your research process. What did you think about the plans available in your area? How difficult/easy to find the information? If you were seeking Medigap insurance for your parent or grandparent, how would you use the online resources you studied for this assignment?
- Describe the concept of “aging-in-place”. Using the concept of NORC (“Naturally Occurring Retirement Community”), discuss what would require for older adults to achieve “aging-in-place”.
- Research: compare and contrast the difference between adult day care, assisted living, independent living and nursing homes in your home town. Please include the following from your research:
- What type of services does this living facility provide? (e.g. 24 hour care, weekend overnight respite, only day-time care)
- What is the cost to attend or live in this facility? (e.g. self-pay, is it covered by insurance? If so, what is the criteria, how much per day/month or year)
- What type of staff are present? (e.g. nurses, managers, program staff, drivers etc.)
- What type of older adult does it serve? (e.g. Frail, dementia, independent)
- How would you explain this type of living to a relative asking about the difference between them all?
Example Submission for one type of service:
Assisted Living: 24 hour care, onsite dining services, apartment living, is mostly private pay unless the person has long term care insurance, $2,500 per month, assists those who could need assistance with bathing or reminders to take medications. Explanation to relative: An assisted living is for those older adults who can no longer live independently on their own. They may need assistance with bathing, eating or dressing. They may need medication reminders. This type of living is not for those older adults who are bed bound or have severe medical issues.
Adult Day Care:…
"Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!"