Determinants of Health and Behaviour Change
The purpose of this assignment is:
1. to provide students with the opportunity to research a scholarly nursing article on the determinants of health
2. to provide students with the opportunity to present key information from one article to the class
3. To provide students with the opportunity to use the information from the scholarly nursing article to create a client scenario and to demonstrate to the class how you would apply the Stages of Change Model
4. To provide students with the opportunity to develop skills needed to function effectively in a small group
Each member is expected to do an equal share of the work for this assignment. Your group will give a 15 minute presentation on the determinants of health and behaviour change.
Your group will find one scholarly article on the determinants of health that is relevant for nursing. The article might discuss one or more determinants. You will present this article to the class. Provide a copy of the article to your professor prior to the date of presentation to confirm that the article meets the criteria.
1. You will present the following information about the articles to the class:
• The purpose of the article
• The credentials of the author(s), the name of the scholarly nursing journal that published the article, and the year the article was published
• Key findings or key discussions
• A summary of recommendations if any
• What nursing populations you would recommend the article to
• Your opinion about the ease of applying the knowledge you gained from the article in your nursing practice. Provide a rationale for your opinion
• USE THE determinants of health INFORMATION in the article to create a realistic client scenario (individual or family) that you will use to demonstrate to the class how you would apply Prochaska and DiClemente’s Stages of Change Model.
• You may create any scenario you like as long as your focus is not on smoking cessation (we aIDressed smoking cessation in class)
• Ensure that the audience is clear about what determinants of health you are focusing on.
• Your presentation should include:
? How you would identify the stage of change your client is at.
? Choose one stage of change and provide a brief description of it
? Based on the stage of change you chose, identify three things that you would do immediately with your client. Consider:
? How you would use what you learned in the article about the barriers to change to help your client (tell the class how you would use the information).
? How you would use what you learned in the article about the factors that facilitate change to help your client (tell the class how you would use the information).
? Identify three things you would do in relation to ongoing support for your client.
• Be prepared to respond to questions from the class and the professor.
This is a group assignment. You may use PowerPoint.
Please note that group members may not all receive the same mark based on the evaluation of the professor and group members.
The group must submit a Group Project Agreement and a Group Meeting/Assignment Log.
Each of you will submit a group member’s evaluation. Five marks of the total will be assigned by your group members.
Group Presentation Marking Scheme worth 20%
Criteria for Evaluation Mark Comments
Degree of participation in the presentation 10
Individual mastery of material presented 15
Analysis of determinants of health article. 25
Stages of Change Scenario 20
Overall quality and content of the group’s presentation.
Target audience considered.
Professional language used.
References provided. 20
Group Project Agreement and Group Log of Meetings &
Individual Evaluations 10
Hi there! Click one of our representatives below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.