How does the community health nurse recognize bias, stereotypes, and implicit bias within the community? How should the nurse address these concepts to ensure health promotion activities are culturally competent? Propose strategies that you can employ to reduce cultural dissonance and bias to deliver culturally competent care. Include an evidence-based article that address the cultural issue. Cite and reference the article in APA format.
After completing this module, you will be able to do the following:
· Discuss the importance of Peplau’s interpersonal process to nursing care
· Analysis Henderson’s and the ANA’s definition of nursing
· Apply Orem’s Theory of self-care deficits to a case study
· Assess the application of each theoretical model to clinical research and practice
· Discuss the relevance of the basic principles proposed by these theorists to the current practice of nursing.
· Compare and contrast the theoretical perspectives of each theory and identify commonalities and differences among the theories.
· Describe the impact that each theorist had on the development of nursing knowledge.
This module introduces the work of three important 20th-century nursing theorists: Virginia Henderson, Hildegard Peplau, and Dorothea Orem. Peplau discusses the importance of the nurse-patient relationship in the different phases of nursing care. Henderson help shape the definition of nursing, and we will explore how the definition has changed over time. Lastly, we will explore Orem’s theory of self-care deficits and apply our knowledge to a case study. This module summarizes each of these early scholars and their conceptualization of nursing and the nurse-patient relationship. Their work situated the focus of nursing from performance of tasks to engagement in a therapeutic relationship designed to facilitate health and healing.
1. Smith, M. C., & Parker, M. E. (2015). Nursing theories and nursing practice (4th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: F.A. Davis. ISBN 978-0-8036-3312-4 Chapters 5, 6, & 8.
2. American Nurse Association. (2018).
Start by reading and following these instructions:
1. Quickly skim the questions or assignment below and the assignment rubric to help you focus.
2. Read the required chapter(s) of the textbook and any additional recommended resources. Some answers may require you to do additional research on the Internet or in other reference sources. Choose your sources carefully.
3. Consider the discussion and any insights you gained from it.
4. Create your Assignment submission and be sure to cite your sources, use APA style as required, check your spelling.
ANSWER 3 QUESTIONS
1) What is an opportunity in your nursing practice that would benefit from Henderson’s theory?
2) How could Henderson’s theory be useful in your practice?
3) How does this align with ANA’s definition of Nursing? (How does the possible application align with the definition from ANA found at htt://ww.nursingworld.org/Especially For you/What-is-Nursing).
Provide one evidenced-based research article to support this recommendation(cite and reference the article)
This week you will create a two-part Power Point to discuss the following:
Peplau was the first nursing theorist to identify the nurse–patient relationship as being central to all nursing care. Peplau valued knowledge, believing that the nurse must possess extensive knowledge about the potential problems that emerge during a nurse–patient interaction. Peplau’s theoretical work on the nurse–patient relationship continues to be essential to nursing practice.
· Describe the phases of the Nurse-Patient relationship as defined by Peplau. Align your presentation regarding the use of Peplau’s theory with a current practice example.
Provide a discussion of Orem’s Self-Care Deficit Theory. Identify and explain the three related parts? Identify a current nursing practice example where Orem’s theory would be relevant. Use at least one evidenced-based research article to support your practice example. The PowerPoint should include at least 3 outside references and the textbook. It should include title and reference slides and be 14-20 slides.
"Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!"
· Assess progress for clients receiving psychotherapy
· Differentiate progress notes from privileged notes
· Analyze preceptor’s use of privileged notes
· Reflect on the client you selected for the Week 3 Practicum Assignment.
· Review the Cameron and Turtle-Song (2002) article in this week’s Learning Resources for guidance on writing case notes using the SOAP format.
Part 1: Progress Note
Using the client from your Week 3 Assignment, address the following in a progress note (without violating HIPAA regulations):
· Treatment modality used and efficacy of approach
· Progress and/or lack of progress toward the mutually agreed-upon client goals (reference the Treatment plan—progress toward goals)
· Modification(s) of the treatment plan that were made based on progress/lack of progress
· Clinical impressions regarding diagnosis and/or symptoms
· Relevant psychosocial information or changes from original assessment (i.e., marriage, separation/divorce, new relationships, move to a new house/apartment, change of job, etc.)
· Safety issues
· Clinical emergencies/actions taken
· Medications used by the patient (even if the nurse psychotherapist was not the one prescribing them)
· Treatment compliance/lack of compliance
· Clinical consultations
· Collaboration with other professionals (i.e., phone consultations with physicians, psychiatrists, marriage/family therapists, etc.)
· Therapist’s recommendations, including whether the client agreed to the recommendations
· Referrals made/reasons for making referrals
· Termination/issues that are relevant to the termination process (i.e., client informed of loss of insurance or refusal of insurance company to pay for continued sessions)
· Issues related to consent and/or informed consent for treatment
· Information concerning child abuse, and/or elder or dependent adult abuse, including documentation as to where the abuse was reported
· Information reflecting the therapist’s exercise of clinical judgment
Note: Be sure to exclude any information that should not be found in a discoverable progress note.
Part 2: Privileged Note
Based on this week’s readings, prepare a privileged psychotherapy note that you would use to document your impressions of therapeutic progress/therapy sessions for your client from the Week 3 Practicum Assignment.
· The privileged note should include items that you would not typically include in a note as part of the clinical record.
· Explain why the items you included in the privileged note would not be included in the client’s progress note.
· Explain whether your preceptor uses privileged notes, and if so, describe the type of information he or she might include. If not, explain why.