: Agenda Comparison Grid
Identify the Population Health concern you selected.
Health care cost
Describe the Population Health concern you selected and the factors that contribute to it.
Middle class to low income American
This population was chosen as it is the most affected by health care costs in todays society
Administration (President Name)
George W. Bush
Describe the administrative agenda focus related to this issue for the current and two previous presidents.
· He promises replace Obama care allowing the consumer to have insurers fighting for their business making it more affordable for the middle class to low income family
· Eliminate insurance fees for the consumer who does not have a health insurance policy
· Eliminated the payments made to the insurers that made it more likely for them to be involved hit the health market
· He allowed short term plans to be available for people up to three years.
· He is making price transparency easier for the consumer to understand, which drives down the cost and drives up the quality of service provided
· Prescription drug prices are dropping making them more affordable.
· Requires hospitals to make their prices available online so the consumer can shop around
· Forcing insurance providers to must provide cost estimates to the public to give them an idea of what they will be paying out of pocket
· He promised to make affordable health care a right for the consumer but not a privilege.
· Allowed children until the age of 26 to be covered by their parent’s insurance
· Prohibited the cancellation of policies for people with costly illnesses
· Established a health insurance marketplace
· Required all Americans who could afford insurance to purchase it which he expected to drive the cost of insurance down
· Expanded community health centers and provided incentives for primary care doctors to practice in communities in need
· Covered HIV testing and treatment
· Established finical assistance for those who cannot afford insurance without it.
· Gave tax credits to small business owners who provided insurance to their staff.
· Had payments from Medicare patients linked to quality of care
· Eliminated coverage denials due to pre-existing conditions
· He promised to expand coverage, improve cost, and improve quality of care.
· Created the tax-free Health Savings Account (HSA) which eliminated out of pocket tax payments for health care items for the consumer
· Made the price transparent to the consumer allowing them to know what they paid and what the insurance paid to the doctor
· He established or expanded over 1200 community centers in poverty areas.
· Increased the NIH funding to allow for more research which led to the creation of the HPV vaccine
· Helped displaced workers by expanding the Trade Adjustment assistance program.
· Passed the medical liability reform which cut down on frivolous lawsuits that drove of health care cost
· Provided additional assistance to low income Americans
Identify the allocations of financial and other resources that the current and two previous presidents dedicated to this issue.
2020 budget 87.1 billion for HHS and a 248.8 billion in net health savings with focus on combating the opioid epidemic, addressing mental health, decreasing prescription cost, expanding asceses to health plans, expand Medicaid, reduce wasteful medical spending, improve the integrity of Medicare, Medicaid, and CHIP, asceses to new technology, end HIV in America, prioritize health research, better funding for emergency preparedness, and aid with older Americans,
2016 budget allocated 1,106 billion at 27% of the budget to healthcare and Medicare
He cut costs to Medicare at 182.7 billion over a five-year period and 17.4 billion in Medicaid. He scaled back on what doctors, hospitals, and nursing homes were being compensated.
Explain how each of the presidential administrations approached the issue.
Trump dismantled Obama care stating that it was overpriced insurance that was not beneficial to the consumer. He rid of the tax fee that was mandated for those who did not have insurance. He works to get cost of insurance down while increasing the quality of services provided to the everyday consumer. His goal is to have the consumer have a transparent view of what they are paying for before they buy.
Obama wanted to make healthcare obtainable to everyone. He made a marketplace and required everyone who could afford healthcare to purchase some form of plan, if you did not buy this plan you were slapped with tax penalties. His thought process in this was more people will be in the marketplace, making more money for insurance providers, and this will ultimate drive down the cost of insurance. He made money available to those who needed assistance with buying insurance
Bush was in an economic downfall. He was trying to help provide affordable healthcare to those who needed it, but the money was not there to fulfill all his goals. He cut cost to two of the most important insurance providers to Americans.
"Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!"